General Meeting Minutes
A general meeting of the CPE II Parents Association was held in the CPE II Elementary School art room at 6:00 p.m. on December 7, 2016. A quorum was present.
PA Exec. Board: Alissa Peck, Nina Zmanovskaya, Michelle Perry, Elaine Cunningham-Gross
Parents: Jennifer Olmsted, Elizabeth Simmons, Marielena Chacon, Stephen Fraser, LaShanda Dandrich, Ara-Zior Wilson, Meridith Lampert, Rosalie Sanchez, Maja Cerar, Doug Geers, Jennie Dundas, Rachel Hees, Nicole Smith
School Administration: Naomi Smith, principal
- Principal’s update (Naomi):
- The Hopes & Dreams meeting on December 2, 2016 had the highest attendance since Hopes & Dreams have started.
- 6th-graders are camping this week; 4th-graders will go later in the school year.
- Middle School update:
- 1/3rd 6th-graders joined from CPE2 Elementary
- More CPE2 5th-graders applying this year than last year
- “Kids Speak Out” event on Sunday, December 11:
- School opens at 10:30am for making posters – all families welcome to join or meet the CPE2 group in Central Park later
- Naomi’s weekly notes have all the info plus a separate email from CPE II Communications has been sent out with a sign-up link
- The minutes of PA meeting held on November 4, 2016, were approved by the majority of attendees.
- Hopes & Dreams meeting held on December 2 (Alissa Peck and Liz Simmons):
- 4 focus areas:
- Creating Compassionate Communities
- Empathy group led by CPE2 parent Jessie Klein
- Social Justice.
- Community service projects for CPE2 Middle School.
- Parent Communication
- Create a Welcoming Committee/Parent Ambassadors to help new CPE2 families.
- Streamline Naomi’s/PA’s communication.
- Improve CPE2 website.
- School Advocacy
- Ultimate goal – find a new building for PreK-8.
- Write grants (1/2 classrooms need air conditioning).
- Obtain a 501c3 tax-exempt status for CPE2 to be able to apply for large grants.
- Sustainable CPEII
- Teach kids to support the garden and other Health & Wellness projects so that eventually they could run such projects themselves.
- Next Hopes & Dreams meeting in March 2017.
- Liz Simmons proposed to create a separate website for Hopes & Dreams.
- Garden Update (Meridith Lampert):
- A new educator for the garden has been found. She will come to CPE2 twice a week and teach kids how to crop vegetables and make a salad.
- The fence is helping against garbage.
- A pile of old ply wood is still around. May need volunteer help to get rid of it. A suggestion came up to use the wood for an art project.
- Next steps:
- Create greenhouses for winter gardening.
- Middle School may do gardening to meet their community service requirements.
- Big cement planters: buy tulip bulbs and plant for spring.
- CPE2 Annual Contribution Drive (Alissa Peck):
- Pledge letter & envelopes went home in the purple folders.
- There is an option to contribute online; the letter has the link.
- Alissa Peck reminded families to use the Amazon link on CPE2 website. The school gets 6% when families use this link to log in to Amazon. It does not cost families anything extra to use it. CPE2 gets about $100 per month from this. Michelle Perry mentioned that a similar incentive may be agreed on with Fairway Market supermarket chain.
- Coffee & Tea with Naomi – an upcoming event in January (date to be communicated later) (Nina Zmanovskaya). It will be an informal dialogue with Naomi where parents can ask questions and get answers.
- Jennifer Olmsted suggested to make signup for parent-teacher conferences more seamless and avoid showing the names of parents who signed up.
- Class parents update (Nina Zmanovskaya). All classes (except 6th and 7th grades) have at least one class parent. Class parents have access to their class email lists. Nina to provide class parents with individual parents’ email addresses for communicating steps regarding teacher appreciation.
- Treasurer’s Report (Michelle Perry):
- 2016-2017 PA budget deficit is $11k
- May need to dip into savings (currently at $73k)
- PA needs:
- The VP of Communications role is open as Muronji/Mitchell had to step down due to lack of available time.
- Fundraising Committee: need several parents to help with fundraising at upcoming events (Spring Fair)
- Maja Cerar suggested fundraising by selling CPE2 gear (mugs, tshirts etc)
- Ara-Zior Wilson suggested to create a place on the CPE2 website where parents could sign up to volunteer for different projects.
- Elizabeth Simmons provided an update on electricity issues in the elementary school building. The gym needs air conditioning that will cost $500k to install – need a capital grant for this. Next step – create a list of projects we need to write grants for.
November 4, 2016 PA Meeting
A general meeting of the CPE II Parents Association was held in the CPE II Elementary School cafeteria at 8:30 a.m. on November 4, 2016. A quorum was present.
Exec. Board: Alissa Peck, Anat Grosfeld, Alex Donn, Michelle Perry, Mitchell McCraw
Parents: Mark Terry, Sharise Pabon, Oriana Stracuzzi, Meredith Lambert, Richard Lin, Kelly Hesburn, Jen McKenna, Ara-Zior Wilson, Elaine Cunningham-Gross, Zoe Schneider, Batia Eyob-Serrette, Mort Lebigre, Yvonne Diop.
School Administration: None
Jazz program: Zoe mentioned that there is a jazz program at the Jazz Standard that some CPE II classes are taking advantage of; kids eat lunch & listen to jazz; 2nd & 3rd grades; if interested in having your child’s class participate, talk to Zoe.
***Minutes of the October meeting — approved unanimously.
***Motion to amend bylaws to add a Middle School Liaison position to the Exec. Board – passed unanimously.
***By unanimous vote, Elaine Cunningham-Gross selected as Middle School Liaison.
***Motion to amend bylaws to change the “co-President” officer position to a “President” officer position – passed unanimously. (Motion made because co-President Jorge Estrella recently resigned, leaving Alissa Peck as the only President.)
Treasurer’s Report. Michelle Perry provided the Treasurer’s Report.
Middle School Meeting Notice:
- A middle school parent was frustrated that the emails regarding the PA meeting did not indicate that the meeting would take place at the CPE II elementary school (as opposed to the Middle School)
- Going forward, communications regarding CPE II PA meetings should indicate that the meetings take place at the elementary school
- Fall Fair Outcomes: the Fall Fair grossed $12,000 and netted $9,000
- Was a successful event, but we needed more parent volunteers
- Matching gifts possible for any CPE II fundraising programs? Must be a specific purpose to get matching funds, maybe camping trip – with REI, for example, as a possible sponsor
- Hopes and Dreams discussed
- No soap in bathrooms, send those issues to Lashanda (chair of custodial committee)
- Need to use Google Docs to enable parents to communicate
- Website needs to be updated
- Marathon may be opportunity to get volunteers/energy for fence building project
- Class parents need access to class lists to communicate