CPE II General PA Meeting
March 3, 2017, 8:30 AM
A General Membership Meeting of the CPE2 Parents’ Association was held on March 3, 2017, at 8:30 a.m. in the CPE 2 cafeteria. A quorum was present.
Administration: Principal Naomi Smith
Exec. Board: Alissa Peck, Co-President; Alex Donn, Secretary; Michelle Perry, Treasurer; Elaine Cunningham-Gross, VP-Middle School.
Parents: Ruth Masterson Creber, Remeise Chandler, Cathy Ewald, Yongsoo Park, Ara-Zior Wilson, Monica Ponzini, Allison McDermott, Elizabeth Simmons, Mark J. H. Terry, Anand Raghunath, Adam Rzetelny, Nicole Smith, Rosalie Sanchez, Jeremy Fader, Doug Geers, Rachel Hees.
Alex Donn opened the meeting because Alissa was running a few minutes late.
Principal Naomi Smith stopped by to say hello and asked the parents if we had any questions for her. (There were few questions and then Naomi left.)
- Alex explained that under our bylaws, we need a Nominating Committee to solicit candidates and manage the process of electing parents to next year’s PA Exec Board
- Our bylaws say we have to create this Committee at the March PA meeting, which is today’s meeting.
- We can have as few as 3 people on the Committee, but 2 of them must not be current Exec Board members, and no Nominating Committee member can run for a position in this election.
- We want people to volunteer, but not if they would otherwise have volunteered to be on the PA Exec Board
- Allison McDermott, who was on the Nominating Committee last year, explained what it entails.
- (Alissa arrives and takes over running meeting.)
- ***Nominating Committee formed: Anand, Ruth, and Anat
- Michelle Perry, Treasurer, gave the Treasurer’s Report.
- Many teachers have not sought reimbursement for the money they can spend for classroom supplies.
- Some have spent some of their allotted money, others have not spent any of it.
- We need to make sure that the teachers know that this money is available for them – reminder email to teachers regarding how much they have left.
- Reference to Michelle’s addition of an “expense” line related to the kitchen classroom, correcting previous version that had included only a line for money received for kitchen.
- There was an extended conversation about a perceived lack of parent engagement at the school.
- Parents who have been at the school for a while noted that there has been a real decline in parent participation at all kinds of events: class events, curriculum night, etc.
- Possible causes for this decline were discussed, including the idea that families are choosing CPE2 because it is a “good” school, but with a limited understanding of its history of active parent involvement.
- Other factors were discussed: parents noted that the families in the younger grades are more active than the families in the “older” (e.g., 3rd & 4th grade) grades.
- Regarding curriculum night, a parent explained that this year, child care was not provided for the first time in a long time and said this (rather than the makeup of the school) may explain the drop-off at this event. [If the question was about the Open House, Naomi explained to the PA Exec Board that it was not feasible to arrange child care for over 300 families].