CPEII School Leadership Team Meeting Minutes
Friday, December 7, 2018
Agenda for next meeting (please email me if you'd like to add/comment)
- Planning February 4th community showcase day?
- Review of key points from parent survey results
Dec 7 Attendance: Naomi, Theresa, Alison, Clarissa, Yael, Elaine, Julie, Eric, Mariama, Jen, Traciz
Future meeting dates:
June 14 (CPE2 school gathering)
Construction follow-up:Please see attached minutes from meeting with SCA reps & UFT report. (Key points below):
*Scope of work: rain screen & panelling to facade of building, roof repair, renovations of indoor multipurpose room on 1st floor
*TENTATIVE timeline (subject to revision): Interior work completed by end Feb 2019. Exterior work by early September 2019
* Scaffolding won't come down until everything completed. No access to large play yard until all outdoor work is completed.
*Plan for resurfacing of play yard at completion of work.
* UFT requested evaluation of indoor air quality
- particulate matter and vapor testing were at safe levels
- there was noted to be accumulation of dust in some areas, particularly on scaffolding. 2 protocols to address:
> reinforce need to keep scaffolding clean with construction crew
> construction will stop slightly earlier each day to allow sufficient time for clean up of debris/dust
SLT meeting questions about resurfacing of play yard & outdoor space once available:
> Can it be rubberized?
> Can we get new basketball hoops (100th street side)
> Play structure on east side needs to be replaced
Middle school open house/Retaining more families to stay for middle school
- Evening middle school open house held on Nov 27th
> Per Naomi, CPE1 and River East were contacted and sent out emails inviting parents to this event
> 8th graders displayed the museum they created on the Reconstruction period in US History using real artifacts from the time period
> Parents (Julie & Felix) spoke about pluses of CPE2 middle school. Specifically: 1. development of self-esteem, confidence and preparedness for navigating school and the world in general, 2. Sense of community and that parents have a voice in our school
- Clarissa & Jen expressed one area to improve would be trying to optimize opportunity for prospective middle school parents to interact with/see teachers and get a sense of what it's like in the classrooms. One way to do this would be to offer daytime tour
> Naomi offered morning tour to prospective 5th grade parents on December 11. I personally attended the tour and thought it was great; I felt I got a much better sense (compared to the evening meeting) of what day-to-day might be like in the middle school & got to see classrooms in action which was very helpful.
>Brainstorming to incorporate school day middle school tours in future (please add ideas or comments)
-offer morning tour in November (so MS classes have had time to establish routines, etc) but get the word out earlier: give more notice so parents have time to arrange their work/childcare/etc so they can attend. If feasible, also offer a tour in October.
- offer a morning tour for CPE2 FOURTH grade families later in the year (May?). Allows middle school classes time to establish routines & form community. Also gets CPE2 MS on the radar early for parents
- Could a parent or Saramit help with guiding tours to reduce time commitment required from administration?
Day of Service/Community Event(s) -
- CAS has a partner who can provide volunteers. Will see if they can come over MLK weekend to focus on specific indoor projects (eg. cleaning out closets, moving things, etc)
- Naomi has also set out call for volunteers to help on some Saturday mornings
- Discussion about art and murals
> Comment on the importance of physical space in creating school/community environment and need to be intentional about space/art
> Importance of having the kids who attend CPE2 represented in both the artwork and the artists; it would be ideal if artists could be from East Harlem and from all racial/ethnic backgrounds
> CAS has contact with the artist who did the main mural on the first floor
> Alison wants to be in charge of murals/art/space design
- Other needs are: planting in outdoor space in Spring, keeping outdoor spaces clean
- Suggestion to have multiple days in spring for school community to do volunteering at school:
Monday, February 4th -evening: day to bring community together
- performances (violin,dance), open house to see work in classrooms, food
- action item: plan at next SLT?
Progressive education & communicating how CPE2 is special
Discussion around how to communicate "what is progressive education" and also showing how it changes as kids grow
- Working on increasing interaction between younger and older kids to improve overall community feeling
- Continued work to mesh the 2 major communities joined by the move (CPE2 and PS50 families)
- Need to communicate especially to new families about what is progressive education and how it changes as kids grow
**At the middle school level (for kids applying to HS) this is done via portfolios that are kept for each child.
- Communicating that progressive education can still be rigorous and students will be prepared for other HS/college/etc. There is often concern from families about getting into a "good HS" and need to prepare for that early.
- Updating the website to communicate special things about CPE2 (Julie is actively working on new website)
> Theresa made suggestion for each group of teachers (early childhood/older elementary/MS/specials) to write a short blurb (or video) about what their area & can be posted to website
> Have videos of teachers and examples (eg restorative circle, learning math) on website.
> Highlight special activites at CPE2 (eg ice skating, Rosies kids, etc)
- Bulletin board at school with teachers names/pictures. Or including some teachers/admin in slide show running in front
- We need an event to showcase progressive education for our families: February 4th??
Some questions about staffing at middle school
- Clarissa and Dre are longest standing teachers
- Middle school staff has expanded from 3 to 9 as school has grown
- Every class is ICT class at MS
- Strong ELA/humanities team
- Can be difficult to hire good quality new teachers with short notice (eg over summer)
Professional development for teachers:
> teachers can select own path to professional growth.
- Ex Clarissa is working on improving use of project-based assessments (instead of standardized tests) as "scores" and to assess kids
- Eight teachers are doing work around trauma: how can teachers/school better support kids who have experienced trauma
- Work around middle school advisory, implicit bias work
*Update from previous meeting: CA will work to provide health education into the school day. Staff will be trained to provide health education starting in grade 4.